
Crew Rescued After MSC Containership Grounds in Storm off Newfoundland
Multiple teams from Canada responded Saturday morning after an MSC containership issued a mayday call during a strong winter storm. A helicopter from the Canadian SAR team was able to rescue the 20 crewmembers despite the severe conditions.
The MSC Baltic III (33,767 dwt) reported that it lost power and was unable to anchor due to the strong storm. Winds were up to 75 mph and seas were running at up to 6 meters (20 feet) along the west coast of Newfoundland. The vessel was scheduled to be in Corner Brook, Newfoundland departing for Saint John and then Freeport in the Bahamas.
The containership was about 12 nautical miles outside the entrance to the Bay of Islands when the ship blacked out. It was driven ashore in Wild Cove west of Lark Harbor on the western coast of Newfoundland along the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
"The vessel’s propulsion fuel is marine diesel, and the vessel is sitting on rocks on the shoreline. So we’re concerned that it may breach the hull, but at this point in time in time there’s no breach and no oil on the water,” Canadian Coast Guard response officer Bruce English told the Canadian Press on Sunday.
Built in 2003, the vessel is registered in Liberia and has a capacity of 2,478 TEU. It is owned by NordBaltic operating since 2021 for MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company. The ship is 679 feet in length.
The Canadian Coast Guard vessel Henry Larsen was in the area supporting the SAR team and the Cormorant helicopter which was able to rescue the crew. Local emergency and fire teams also responded to the calls for assistance. The Coast Guard reports the Henry Larsen remains in the area. A mobilization of crews and equipment is also underway to reach the stranded vessel.

Direct Freight Railway Route from China to Afghanistan Launched via Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan
On Monday morning, a freight train departed from Tuanjiecun Station in Chongqing to Hairatan, Afghanistan, marking the launch of the first direct railway route connecting this southwestern Chinese metropolis with Afghanistan.
The train, carrying 55 containers of telecommunications equipment produced by Chinese telecom giant ZTE, will cross the national border at the Khorgos checkpoint in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region (northwest China) and reach its final destination in Hairatan via Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. The entire journey is expected to take 12 to 15 days.
According to reports, the transported cargo will be used to support the construction of Afghanistan's local telecommunications networks, contributing to the country's social and economic development.
"With the use of the direct railway freight scheme, transportation time will be reduced by 3 to 5 days compared to road transport, while logistics costs are expected to decrease by 15 to 20 percent. This will enhance the security and efficiency of cargo transportation and delivery," said Liu Jianfeng, a representative of ZTE.
So far, over 18,000 freight trains have traveled between Chongqing and various destinations along the China-Europe and China-Central Asia international railway freight routes, according to local authorities.
The successful launch of this direct freight route will further strengthen trade and economic cooperation between Chongqing and Afghanistan, as well as with other Central Asian countries, noted an official from the Chongqing-Xinjiang-Europe Supply Chain Management Company.

Zigui Huaxing Shipping Launches Eco-Friendly Vessel for Waste Collection and Cargo Transport
Zigui Huaxing Shipping has introduced the "Sanxia Huba No 1" (三峡护坝1号), a new vessel designed for collecting, processing, and transporting floating waste near the Three Gorges Dam. During non-flood seasons, it can also transport bulk cargo.
Key Features:
- Fully electric power system with modular containerized batteries (4000 kWh).
- Operational speed: 9.7 knots; range: 160 km (99 miles).
- Reduces CO2 emissions by 844 tons annually and saves 253 tons of diesel fuel.
- Faster battery swaps eliminate the need for long charging stops.
- This project supports the ecological goals of the Three Gorges Dam and Yangtze River by improving water quality and minimizing carbon emissions.

Shanghai Ports Set New Record for Car Exports in 2024
In 2024, Shanghai’s two main automobile export ports achieved a record-breaking export volume of over 1.66 million vehicles, a 26.6% increase compared to the previous year, according to local customs authorities on Wednesday.
The Haitong International Automotive Terminal, China’s largest port for RO-RO ships, serves as a key hub for Chinese car manufacturers exporting their vehicles. According to Shanghai Customs, the terminal has consistently exported around 1 million China-made cars annually over the past three years.
The Nangan Port also plays a significant role as a hub for car imports and exports in Shanghai, complementing the city’s robust automotive export infrastructure.
These two ports symbolize the rapid growth of China’s car exports in 2024. Data from China’s General Administration of Customs shows that last year, the country’s car exports increased by 23% year-on-year, reaching a record high of 6.41 million units.

China Begins Patrolling Boundary of its "Nine-Dash Line" Claim
For the first time, China's coast guard has begun patrolling a section of the country's "nine-dash line" - the loosely-defined boundary of Beijing's unilateral claim to the South China Sea, including international waters and other states' exclusive economic zones.
Since the beginning of the new year, a group of large China Coast Guard cutters have been rotating through patrol duty in an area just off Zambales, Luzon. At closest approach, the patrols have come within about 55 nautical miles of Philippine shores.
One of the deployed vessels is CCG 5901, the largest armed law enforcement vessel in the world at 12,000 tonnes displacement. Over VHF, its crew has informed the Philippine Coast Guard that the CCG is enforcing Chinese law in Chinese waters, even when 100 nautical miles inside the Philippine exclusive economic zone.
The Philippine Coast Guard has dispatched the offshore patrol vessel BRP Teresa Magbanua to monitor the Chinese presence and push back on these sovereignty claims. Despite rough weather conditions, the crew of the Magbanua have kept watch and demonstrated continued Philippine presence.
While monitoring the Chinese flotilla, the Philippine Coast Guard noticed a pattern that may explain the China Coast Guard's new behavior. The CCG cutters have been patrolling a north-south racetrack off Luzon's coast, and the tracklines align well with a segment of the "nine-dash line," which was invalidated by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague in 2016.
"Their goal is to normalize such deployments, and if these actions go unnoticed and unchallenged, it will enable them to alter the existing status quo. This strategy of normalization, followed by altering the status quo and ultimately operationalizing their illegal narrative, has consistently been part of the Chinese playbook," said PCG spokesman Jay Tarriela. "This is why it is important for the Philippine Coast Guard to actively expose these unlawful deployments of Chinese vessels to the global community, ensuring that such actions are not normalized and that this bullying behavior does not succeed."
Tarriela warned that if China does not get pushed back, it could begin conducting the same patrols in other nations' exclusive economic zones, since the "nine-dash line" affects all of the coastal states of the South China Sea. This includes waters administered by Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia and Indonesia.
To the north, South Korea's government is eyeing new Chinese activity in a contested part of the Yellow Sea. The so-called Provisional Measures Zone is claimed by both sides, and all activities within it are banned except for navigating and fishing. Construction is specifically disallowed - but China has been installing large metal structures in the zone, which it describes as "fishing support facilities." Another structure recently went in the water, South Korean officials reported January 9.
East Asian defense analysts have noted that China pursued a similar incremental strategy with its island-building campaign in the South China Sea - creating nominally civilian structures, militarizing them over time, and then using them to support political claims of sovereignty.
“China is not only installing structures but also conducting military exercises in the region, signaling its ambitions to establish effective control over the West Sea,” Lee Dong-gyu, a research fellow at the Asan Institute for Policy Studies, told Chosun Daily. “These actions aim to gain leverage in future negotiations with South Korea.”